We can dissociate the mining pass of Arles sur Tech from the Mines of Batère. These are located in the towen of Corsavy. In 1897, Mr Josep-Pierre MONIN, forge master in Arles sur Tech, acquiresd the mines and following the redemption of ten other adjoining concessions, created the Batère limites company en 1898.
Around 1900, Mr MONIN built a mansion, the “Villa de las Indis” which since 1936 is the current City Hall. Together with his wife, they were also the owner-builders of current post office, which was then a private school for miners’ children.
Before 1915, the ore of Batère was transported on the back of mules but with the growning exploitation, he built an aerial cable connecting Batère to the Carreau de la Mine from Arles sur TEch. The Ore was processed in the rooster furnances and transported to the other areas by rail ( before 1940, the date of the greatest flood in the area) and later by the road. The mine of Batère closed in 1986.
In 1998, the “Association des Anciens Mineurs de Batère” in relation with the municipality and the professionals of
“CAPEB 66” created the “Association de Ferronnerie Catalane” It organize the European Meeting of Ironwork Art with the participation of about 200 blacksmiths. The events takes place on the 3rd weekend of October everye 2 years. The forging demonstrations take place at de foot of the tils kilns at Carreau de la Mine.